Sunday, March 19, 2006

Thank You from behind bars

Dear friends,

During his family visit at the Queenstown Remand Prison on 18 Mar 2006, Dr Chee Soon Juan has asked Mrs Chee to convey this message to you:

"I am doing fine. My spirits are up and I have you to thank for this.
There are many individuals and organizations whom I would like to send
my personal thanks but am unable to do so from here and through this
very brief visit.

The Amnesty International, the ICJ, Human Rights First, SEAPPA are
among the many organizations that have lent their invaluable help.

I am grateful to the diplomatic community in Asia, Australia, Europe
and the US for all that they have done. It is precisely due to the
involvement of and attention from the international community that has
deterred the Singapore government from wielding its usual unbridled power.

The Singapore authorities are keenly aware that the world is watching
them and that it is due to this that they cannot continue to use such
oppressive and unjust measures to silence democracy advocates and
dissenting voices.

I also thank friends and supporters from Singapore and beyond. Thank
you for your thoughts, prayers, well-wishes and tireless efforts."

Chee Soon Juan

No comments: